Archive for the ‘Hamstick’ Tag

Amateur Radio This Week: 2017.42   Leave a comment

This week was relatively quiet for me on amateur radio.  I played in the 10-10 contest last week, calling CQ and listening, but never heard a peep on 10 meters.  My father said 10 was open yesterday, so I will probably try it out today on my way home from Magdalena.

I received an Amazon order that contained some ferrite chokes and a new 20 meter Hamstick.  I need to get the 20 meter Hamstick assembled and tuned by next week, so that I can take it to Minnesota with me.

I was able to check into the Albuquerque SCAT Net a few times last week.  I also listened to a repeater in Moab, UT, on 440 MHz, but never heard anyone.  I announced that I was monitoring several times, but heard no response.

This week, I will also need to update my logbooks, as I have quite a few recorded QSOs that need to be processed from the past six weeks of radio.

Thank you for reading my post.

 

Advertisements

Amateur Radio This Week: 2017.39   Leave a comment

I ordered the capacitor I needed for my Kenwood TS-130S, and it arrived this weekend.  I have not yet installed it, but I will do that this week.  Hopefully, the new capacitor will fix the audio problems I was having with this radio.

Unfortunately, I need to replace the 20 meter Hamstick that was on the Crown Victoria.  I took the car to Firestone for a repair and they snapped off the antenna in their garage.  I spoke with the manager (who was on the scene when this happened), and he said that he will make sure I get reimbursed for a replacement antenna.

Other than that, I checked into the Albuquerque SCAT Net once.

I have not been very active operating the radio.  This upcoming week, I will repair the capacitor and perhaps update my logbook and DX4Win log.

Thank you for reading my post.

 

This Week in Amateur Radio: 2017.19   Leave a comment

My amateur radio activity has been limited over the past week.   Having said that, I did check into the Albuquerque SCAT Net on both the VHF and the UHF side a few times, and I did attend the last Tech Amateur Radio Association (TARA) meeting of the semester.

I will have an active radio week coming up, however, as I will be leaving for storm chasing on Monday.  In this next week, I am getting all of my amateur radio systems tested and ready.  Still on the list is getting the APRS system up and running (TinyTrak3 to an Icom IC-281H), tuning a 20 meter hamstick, and tidying up some of the cords that run around in the Crown Victoria.

I have been slowly updating my DX4Win Logs as well.  They need to be up-to-date so that I can start the storm chase out with a clean voice recorder, and perhaps fewer QSL cards sitting in the pile to return.

Thank you for reading my post.

 

Crown Victoria Work   Leave a comment

I spent yesterday evening working on the Crown Vic, prepping it for storm chasing. I put my Kenwood TS-130S on the floor, and wedged the Yaesu FT-7800 between the seats for now. I tested both of them, successfully.

In terms of antennas, I tuned Hamsticks for 15 meters and 17 meters. I also disassembled a multiband antenna only to find that the base was cracked (hence why it was so hard to tune). What a shame!

The Yaesu FT-857D is still not functioning correctly. I’ll have to get that repaired, if there is ever money to do so.

I did manage to check into the SCAT Net this morning from US-60 in Magdalena. That’s a long ways!

Thank you for reading my post.