Archive for the ‘radio repair’ Tag

Amateur Radio This Week: 2017.39   Leave a comment

I ordered the capacitor I needed for my Kenwood TS-130S, and it arrived this weekend.  I have not yet installed it, but I will do that this week.  Hopefully, the new capacitor will fix the audio problems I was having with this radio.

Unfortunately, I need to replace the 20 meter Hamstick that was on the Crown Victoria.  I took the car to Firestone for a repair and they snapped off the antenna in their garage.  I spoke with the manager (who was on the scene when this happened), and he said that he will make sure I get reimbursed for a replacement antenna.

Other than that, I checked into the Albuquerque SCAT Net once.

I have not been very active operating the radio.  This upcoming week, I will repair the capacitor and perhaps update my logbook and DX4Win log.

Thank you for reading my post.



Amateur Radio This Week: 2017.29   Leave a comment

This has been a good week for amateur radio.  I installed the Yaesu FT-857D in the Crown Vic and I made quite a few contacts driving around Rio Rancho.  Most of my contacts have been DX stations:  Spain, Mexico and Ecuador.  I did work a few stations in the US as well.

Last night, I attended the ARRL Hurricane webinar, which talked about the differnent hurricane nets that run all season (and even into the off-sesaon).  This was a really great presentation, and I was happy that I attended it, even if I missed the first twenty minutes due to no cellular service.

I also checked into the Albuquerque SCAT Net a few times from the 2 meter side, though I was unable to get in this morning.

Thank you for reading my post.

Amateur Radio Class   Leave a comment

Congratulations to KG5NGM, KG5NGO, KG5NGP, KE0IXA, and KM6CHY, five new technician class amateur radio operators from my radio class!!

I have quite a few changes I would like to make for next year’s class. I will have to sit down and rewrite quite a bit, as well as add more hands-on activities. They liked soldering the radio together, though we never found headphones that worked for it.

Outside of the licensing, I checked into the Albuquerque Caravan Club once. That was about all I’ve done radio-wise.

In terms of station set up, I replaced the ball mount on my Crown Vic in preparation for storm chasing. Unfortunately, my Yaesu FT-857D has a broken select knob and it has damaged the display. It must have gotten jammed by something in the truck when I was driving around. Anyway, the end result is that the display works, the VFO knob works, the volume knob, and the power button works. No other button or knob functions correctly. I will take a look at it in more detail sometime soon, but I may (once again) resort to the Kenwood TS-130S for storm chasing this year.

Thank you for reading my post.

Yaesu FT-7800 is fixed   3 comments

I received a call a few days ago indicating that my radio was fixed. I will pick it up ASAP.

I am feeling a little better, so perhaps I will get on the air some tomorrow.

Thank you for reading my post!

Weekly Amateur Radio Update   Leave a comment

I checked into the Albuquerque SCAT Net three times this week, all on my Alinco dual band radio at low power (5W) on 145.330 MHz. My Yaesu FT-7800 is still down, and I have more testing to do on it before sending it off for repair.

I am also having issues with my HF antenna here at the house. I think there may be a loose connection at the antenna end- I can barely hear any signals and nobody can hear me. The SWR is good, so I am thinking that the antenna connection may be bad such that the auto-tuner is tuning the coaxial cable and nothing else.

My Yaesu FT-857D should be coming back from the factory soon. They said there were two resistors that needed replacement. I think it was six cents for parts and $35 labor, but should be on its way soon.

I am still sorting through my logbook and getting DX4Win updated.

A Call From Yaesu   Leave a comment

Yaesu called today. They have been working on my radio for a few days but have not been able to reproduce the distortion problem I have been experiencing. They are going to try to stress it over the next few days, but so far, it has earned a clean bill of health. They transmitted and let me hear the transmission. It sounds fine.

This leads me to believe there is a problem with my mobile setup, or perhaps a problem with the power coming into the car. I’ll have to trouble shoot this when the radio returns.

Posted February 26, 2014 by n3mra in Radio Repair

Tagged with , , , ,